I want to keep as true to the inspiration pic as possible, and decided to apply bricks to the front of the porch. To make these bricks I painted a small piece of bristol board a brick color and then cut it into small strips.
Then I cut the strips into small brick like shapes. So. Many. Bricks.
After applying a ton of bricks to the porch, it looked like this:
I wasn’t sure if I wanted to just apply a black wash to the bricks or some type of mortar. I decided that mortar would look best, so I took some wood filler and mixed it with a small amount of black paint.
After smearing it all over the porch and letting it sit for a few seconds, I wiped it off and was really happy with the outcome.
I put strips of bristol painted brown on the floor of the porch, and smeared some of the mortar on there.
I finished it by applying a black wash over the whole thing, and then brushing on a couple coats of modpodge. I‘m really happy with the way it’s turned out. The porch is almost finished, just need to finish the roof piece, which thankfully has no bricks!